Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Catalyst

So today Michael and I got to go to Catalyst Headquarters for a luncheon and discussion time with other church planters in the metro atlanta area. What a BLAST!! We made so contacts with other pastors and worship leaders that are in different stages of church plants...whether it be the planning stage, the launch stage or the stage that we are in (almost 2 years old). We discussed the fact that building relationship and growing up members that know how to build relationships wiht the unchurched is soooo much more important than advertising techniques. It was an amazing time in the center of the conference that I contribute God using to have me where I am today

Back in 2001, I was working and leading worship part time and was just totally burned out. I had decided (without my current pastor knowing), that I was going to throw in the towel in ministry and was going to just pursue my secular career. Well, my pastor had us tickets to the 2nd Catalyst conference back when it was held at Northpoint Community Church up here in Alpharetta. I did NOT want to Go!! I had already made plans to come up with an excuse that I could not go. But, the day before the conference came upon me and I could not lie to my pastor and friend, so I went.

30 minutes into the service, we were singing and worshipping to the song "My Glorious", and God dropped me to my seat. I prayed right then and there that I would never give up my dreams and goals of leading worship no matter what cost it meant. I went home and ripped up the notice I had typed the day before and I have been going at it ever since.

No it is not always easy...i work all night saturday every other week and go without sleep to make the drive to Griffin to lead worship. Yes, I lose alot of family time with my wife and son, whether it is the fact that we can't go away on the weekends or during the week, when we are at home and i'm off, I am usually in my office planning services or learning new songs, but I keep going. Every time I hear the song My Glorious, I think about that moment at Northpoint. I guess it is like a stone marker in my life that I can always look to to know that God will complete what he started in me. Thank you Catalyst. You are AWESOME!!

1 comment:

Brad Ruggles said...

I read about what Catalyst did for local pastors and church planters - that's awesome!

We're going to be having a bloggers meetup Thursday night, October 9, in conjunction with Catalyst. You're welcome to join us. You can sign up online at Bloggers08.com.