Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Suffering?


My favorite verse in the Bible is Colossians 1:27;  To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.   I just love the excitement and mystery of that verse.  But while reading it last night, my eyes were drawn to a couple verses before it, to verse 24;  "I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church.  

My sufferings...whos? Pauls!!  Wow!! and what sufferings we know that he went through for the sake of the gospel and the church.  And he is what was that...rejoicing?  in his sufferings?  for the church?  His body...which is the church.

He was in prison for the church...He was beaten for the church...He was going to be killed for the building up of His body, which is the church.  Kind of makes our problems "at" the church seem petty and not even on a scale to be complained about.  Jesus...let me rejoice and find that YOU are all that is lacking in my joy in suffering.

No comments: